Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Black Horses - Painter 8 - Watercolor


I was in a sour mood yesterday afternoon. So when I am in a mood like that I turn to music to help me get snap out of it. I took the Lyon by Washburn 6-string guitar and hooked it up to my Toneport UX1 with the Seymour Duncan Woody pickup.

Using the Gearbox software I played around with the grungiest guitar and cabinet configurations I could. I played a couple of chord progressions for a background to play against and played some loud Blues Rock leads.

I used the chords EGAC GEm AmD and for a bluesy background I used E7 A7 B7. I recorded my efforts for fun with Audacity. They are not the best I've ever done, but it helped me out of the mood I was in as I played and improvised. I even used a bass guitar setting and played a bass back beat to the bluesy chords. I stuck with the E string and A string for the bass improvisation.

I usually play the 12-string so the 6-string was fun to work with for a change and the sound was harsh and loud. The best thing was it helped my mood.

Today's image was done from a photograph taken at Kensington Metro Park's Farm Park Hayride wagon. Both horses were black and new to people, young horses that are just getting used to crowds. I got a couple of good photographs of them and I think this was one of the best.

I opened the photograph in Paint.NET and applied the Artistic> Pencil Sketch> filter. This gave me a basis for a pen and ink watercolor. Saving that file I opened it in Painter and applied the woodcut filter which gave it the pen and ink look. I opened the original for the coloring and set it as the Clone Source.

I then used the watercolor brushes for the painting of the image. I saved that file and opened it in PhotoPaint, framed it in black. I upped the saturation a bit, and used the Tone Curve tool to slightly darken the colors too. I saved the file and then resized it for display here and saved that secondary file.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Kirk Mathew Gatzka - E7A7B7-Blues
null

6 comments:

  1. Nice post.. thanks for sharing...wanna listen some music.. do try...play & listen music online at koffii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting Kirk. I love it. I love the watercolor look to it.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. English, Thanks for the link. Glad you commented.

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judith, Thank you also! I am really happy you like it!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful Kirk love how u have painted this , they look great...

    hugz bev

    ReplyDelete