Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Guitar Series VI - Duo Grunge


The Lyon 6-string guitar needed some new strings so a visit to MotorCity Music was in order late Sunday. I purchased a set of D'addario Phosphor Bronze Light gauge strings. I restrung the guitar after I got home and the difference is not subtle. The sound of the guitar improved immensely with the new strings. A rich , full tone with both bass and treble sounds coming clear and true. It's amazing what a new set of strings can do for an inexpensive guitar.

I took one of the photographs of the two guitars I had taken recently and added to my guitar series with another grunge piece.

I started with a rust colored leather like texture for the background, I have forgotten the source online. I resized it for the web to 1024x684, 72dpi to keep it managable. I did this in PhotoPaint.

I opened the photograph of the guitars and ran the Thredgeholder filter on it to get the sketchy feel to add to the grunge style. I copied it to the clipboard and pasted it into the texture as an object, much like using layers. I adjusted it using the Object Properties Multiply to allow the texture to show through.

Saving this file I opened it in Paint.NET and applied the Effects> Artistic> Ink Sketch filter with the color full up and the ink brush set at medium. I saved this and reopened it in PhotoPaint and adjusted the Tone Curve to lighten it a bit. This file I opened in Painter and used the Photo brushes Burn and the Splatter watercolor brush to the background. And I used the Photo Saturation brush to boost the color on the guitars only.

Saving that I reopened in PhotoPaint to add the text of a chord progression and a bit of lyric complete with Effects> Distort> Wet Paint> for the dripping. I then added some paint splatters and used the Object Properties to adjust the opacity to 62% letting the texture show through. I added the dripping wet paint to these as well. I merged all the object to the background, completeing the new Image.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Amanda Marshall - Let It Rain
null

4 comments:

  1. Just fabulous i can see u selling this series to a cafe or corporate house they rock ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev, that is a high compliment! I'd love to sell the series. I would need to expand the size of the images, though as I work mostly for the web. Print media is a different story altogether. Thanks for the encouragement!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great painting Kirk!
    I totally agree with Bev on selling what you do so well!
    I can relate to you about printing in large size...but it would worth the effort!
    BRAVO!
    Ciao, Gio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giovanna, thank you as well. Printing would present some challenges and I would have to upsize the images with a program that I currently don't have. But if it was built into the price of payment, then I could do it!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete