Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Colors, Fractals, and Guitar


Color on the computer is amazing you can take a simple 1024x768 image and load it with color. Add a subject, like a guitar, and tuning pegs, fractals and you have some eye candy.

I try to keep to the motif of the guitar as it is my main instrument for songwriting and it fits the mode of this blog's discussion.

So I am sharing a brightly colored image today as I contemplate my songwriting. I have been so busy I haven't hardly practiced in the last couple of days. I miss it. It leaves a bit of a hole when I don't practice or play the guitar. It is enjoyable and relaxing at the same time. So I want to get some in today if I can.

Practice is important isn't it? One needs to keep the fingers nimble and trained to play chords and some lead. Even though I don't play scales, which I should learn, it is important to play along with a chord progression that I have recorded. I find my lack of training here a true challenge, To use my ear for listening to the chords and lead parts played together to try and make a usable melody or guitar line for a song to balance it out.

A good song has many parts to it. When you are limited to one instrument, though you may have many guitar models due to software that is available at your fingertips, practice never makes perfect for me. I improvise a lot. Which makes it fun to build a song and accompaniment.

I try hard not to sound like myself over and over again. But after many years of playing guitar I have a style that doesn't go away, it is almost an institution with me. So the challenge is to sound fresh and new in spite of that. What are your challenges when it comes to songwriting? Rhythm, rhyme, reason? Whatever they are you must enjoy the journey to a place you havent' been before.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Starsailor - Four To The Floor
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment