Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Guitar Dreaming - Want vrs. Need


Those of us who play the guitar are always on the lookout for our dream guitar. I am reminded about Ted Nelson's book Computer Lib / Dream Machines about dreaming of powerful personal computers and the birth of the Internets hypertext links.

How many times have you gone to your favorite local guitar merchant and played the guitars there? It is one of my favorite activities. Playing different types of guitars, both reasonably priced and those way out of reach.

I have played some great Epiphones and wonderful Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Seagulls, Fenders, etc. I usually pick up the acoustics or electric acoustics and try them on for size. I enjoy a guitar with good action. As I have small hands I select the narrower fretboards and I am partial to Dreadnought size guitars. My 12-string is such a guitar, with a large body for greater volume and depth of sound.

Today's image is of guitars floating on blue as if in a Dream. One is acoustic, another is acoustic/electric and the final one is an electric guitar, all 6-strings. I would love to have another 6-string guitar for lead playing and the sound that you only get from an electric. I did this image in PhotoPaint using Harry's filters for the blue background adding 3 guitars and applying PhotoPaint's Effects> Art Strokes> Sketch Pad filter. I wanted the dreamy effect it has.

I recorded my title song for my next CD of songs entlitled "The Roof", it is an instrumental using the DADGAD tuning on the 12-string. Very mellow, I play some lead to a background of chords I made up for that tuning, they have no names, I also used some harmonics for the lead. It is a pleasant sound with some uptempo parts climaxing at the end of the tune.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Kirk Mathew Gatzka - The Roof
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment