Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Grunge and Rust


There is something about decay, rust, and grunge. This photograph is one I took with a 35mm film Pentax K1000, and scanned it in. There is also something about Stencil lettering, it has a primitive look and feel to it.

Grunge as music is another story. I don't think I ever identified with the movement, but it did influence many mainstream artists. I have to admit I don't know a lot about it. Wikipedia states of Grunge:

"The early grunge movement coalesced around Seattle independent record label Sub Pop in the late 1980s. Grunge became commercially successful in the first half of the 1990s, due mainly to the release of Nirvana's Nevermind and Pearl Jam's Ten. The success of these bands boosted the popularity of alternative rock and made grunge the most popular form of hard rock music at the time.[1] However, many grunge bands were uncomfortable with this popularity. Although most grunge bands had disbanded or faded from view by the late 1990s, their influence continues to impact modern rock music."

Kurt Cobain became famous and was a martyr of the Grunge movement. I read parts of one of his notebooks that was published, at a book store, and was left with a depressed feeling. He did not seem to be very pleased with life in general.

I think that over all much of my early poetry and songwriting was depressed as well, young and disillusioned without much life experience can do that to a person. Now I like to write Folk Rock, and bluesy music that is more positive and upbeat in its outlook. I guess I am showing my age once again. Life experience can make one bitter and resentful or you learn how to cope better and you can adopt a more constructive viewpoint.

Even though "Eve of Destruction" was a favorite song in the past, "Ohio" by CSNY is also one I have played multiple times, my outlook is not bitter. For that I am thankful.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Kirk Mathew Gatzka - Summer 2008
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment