Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Red Supra Boot - How Do You Value Digital Art?


Recently the discussion came up, again, as to the value of Digital Visual Arts. Even after decades of the practice of making digital visual art it is still devalued by some, as it is not done with the more Traditional Media. Oils, Canvas, Acrylics, Watercolors, Pen and Ink, Pencil, etc.

I have been creating Digital Visual Art since the mid 1980's and the question is still being debated, as it was from the beginning. I believe that the issues of permanence and longevity are at the seat of such a debate. I for one do not doubt the validity of the creative visual art made with digital tools, and believe that they have intrinsic value.

Much of my work is accomplished by deliberate action and planning, it is not computer generated, but created by myself, an artist. I have the composition, the colors, the subject matter well in mind like any traditional artist does, as I do my act of creation of visual art. This is definitely part of a traditional approach to the visual arts.

Also, my music, my songwriting, and recording it on the computer is done with forethought and creativity. It is not computer generated music. It is done with traditional values based upon my musical roots.

I believe that Digital Visual Art is only a choice of tools of creativity, thoughtful, deliberate, and full of value. But I am not an art critic nor a judge at an exhibition of art. I am simply a creative person, an artist, that has chosen digital tools to work with.

The debate will continue as it did with each new art movement, shock, chagrin, disbelief, acceptance, value. As long as society has these digital tools art will be made, enhanced, planned, and executed by artists in the digital form. Much like traditional visual art is.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Kirk Mathew Gatzka - Can't Find My Way Home Cover
null

No comments:

Post a Comment