Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fictional Faces Portrait - Freehand - Pastels - Painter 8


I have a drawing book titled, "Drawing the Human Head," by Burne Hogarth that I study periodically. He has a very definite approach to drawing and it influenced this image that I am posting today.

I drew this freehand on white gesso covered packing paper, which gave it tooth and texture. I used both pastel pencils and pastel chalks. It is a fictional face from my imagination based largely on the above mentioned books guidance.

I called him "Harold," for some unknown reason, just to name him. He doesn't resemble any Harold I know personally.

The image is larger than what you see here and I scanned into the computer what my flatbed scanner would allow. I then took the very large image into Painter 8 and painted it with, if I remember right, the acrylic brushes as a clone.

I have a 102MB file of this in tif format. I opened that in PhotoPaint to resample for the web and resize it for display here. The original picture on the gessoed packing paper is in storage now.

I resurrected it for display after doing another "face" search in Picasa 3. I had a great time creating this portrait of a fictional character and I hope you enjoy it.

NOTE: This appears to be a duplicate posting of this image. To see the original posting go to the bottom of the blog and search the blog for "Harold" and you will find it. Sorry if you have been following this blog long enough to know I make mistakes!

Listening --- She Let Me In --- Kirk Mathew Gatzka

No comments:

Post a Comment