Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

49 West Ed & Patrick (Sparks & Raymond) - Painter 11 - Paint.NET - PhotoPaint

Click for Larger Image
My Musician friend Edward Sparks shared this photograph with me of a performance at 49 West in Annapolis. He and a friend performing here made for a great image. After I got permission from Edward I saved the photograph and opened with PhotoPaint to resample it to 96dpi which gave me a larger file to work with. I sharpened the image with a Directional Sharpen and saved the larger file.

I opened with Paint.NET and applied the Effects> Artistic> Ink Sketch> for a bit of pen and ink look and feel. I upped the color all the way and backed down the ink. Saving the image I opened with Painter 11 and created a quick clone with a white background. I began with the Straight Cloner brush and painted in Edward and Patrick only. Then I selected the Artist's Auto Van Gogh and with the lone button selected began painting in the background with that brush.

I then selected the Smeary Bristle Clone brush and added some color around the two of them and painted in the bass guitar and banjo. I added some details from the photographs background. The next brush I chose was one of Skip's Digital Watercolors and added a bit more detail allowing the Van Gogh brushwork to show through.

Selecting another digital watercolor brush from Skip's I used the eyedropper to select the blue color to add to the right hand sides large window. This was a finishing touch for this image, it really balanced the composition out color wise.

I saved the file again under a differing iteration. Opening In PhotoPaint I resampled the file for display online and added my signature.

I want to thank Edward for this opportunity to paint this image.

Listening --- Edward Sparks --- No Perfect People Allowed

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kirk, Thanks again for immortalizing me with your great art! I will put it on my NEWS page on my website and include a link to your site! Thanks again, Edward Sparks
    http://mysite.verizon.net/emsparks/news/news.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward,

    You are welcome! Thanks for the chance to do a painting!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete