Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Kiddo Meets Cat - Painter 11 - PhotoPaint - Paint.NET

Finished Painting

Paint.NET pencil sketch detail

"Kiddo Meets Cat," is today's watercolor painting done in Painter 11. I opened the photograph taken by myself, with PhotoPaint and cropped to the focal points of my Grandson meeting our cat Linus. The cat is obviously cautious. My Grandson is obviously curious and tentative. Finger meets paw.

Saving that file I opened it in Paint.NET to get a pencil rendition of the image and saved that with a different name. Since both file were the same size I could open them in Painter 11 and use one as the clone source for colors the other for the pencil sketch.

I used the Splashing Water brushes to begin with and decided the source was too dark. So, I switched to that image and equalized it, lightening it up. I painted with the watercolors for a time and then switching layers to the pencil sketch I began to use Digital watercolor brushes. This deepened some of the colors and allowed for a more colorful watercolor piece.

I switched off the cloning and selected some colors from the swatch for boosting more color, still with the Digital watercolor brushes. I varied sizes and brushes.

Once finished in Painter 11 I dropped the layers and saved the file, reopened in PhotoPaint and added a black border to the finished painting.

----------------
Now playing: Crocodile Dundee - Mick Meets New York
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

  1. He is growing so fast Kirk. How adorable and a wonderful use of Skips brushes. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! He is 13 months now and growing. He likes to walk around the furniture, holding on a bit and will walk when you hold his hands. He'll be moving along quickly here shortly!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you, Jane! We thought it was a sweet shot, too! And I almost missed my chance at getting a photograph of them as our cat, Linus, is skittish as can be!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete