Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Grunge Still Life - Lamps - PhotoPaint - Filter Forge

A couple of High Contrast still life's are today's subject. I was visiting and snapped these photographs using the regular flash with a flash diffuser on to minimize the shadows you usually get with them. My fellow photographer David Benjamin introduced me to diffusers they do soften the harsh shadows well.

I opened these photographs of lamps in PhotoPaint and cropped them both. I really focused on the fern lamp in the one photograph, and the table arrangement in the other.

I applied the Local Equalization tool for the high contrasts and then added back in depth with the Tone Curve. I again went to Filter Forge's Photo Effects Vibrance for boosting the color and this time I did not up the saturation.

I added film frames in Filter Forge's Frame Freepack. I don't do a lot of still life work but I enjoyed doing these images.

I really like the bronze colors of the second photograph of the fern lamp. The combination of the lighting and the applied tools allowed the color to blend and speak up. I liked the wood grain of the base of this lamp as well.

The first image was taken later than the second and I thought the balance of the picture and plant and other items on the table made a nice composition. The unshaded window in the background added some interest, if you look closely there is a bird at the top center on the lawn.

----------------
Now playing: Kirk Mathew Gatzka - Bo Diddley Fun
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment