Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Guitar Mashup Collage - Picasa 3


Guitars are amazingly diverse. From the Classic nylon stringed to the exotic electric steel stringed they fascinate and entertain.

Wikipedia states:

"Guitars are recognized as one of the primary instruments in flamenco, jazz, blues, country, mariachi, rock music, and many forms of pop. They can also be a solo classical instrument. Guitars may be played acoustically, where the tone is produced by vibration of the strings and modulated by the hollow body, or they may rely on an amplifier that can electronically manipulate tone. Such electric guitars were introduced in the 1930s and continue to have a profound influence on popular culture.

Traditionally guitars have usually been constructed of combinations of various woods and strung with animal gut, or more recently, with either nylon or steel strings. Guitars are made and repaired by luthiers. There are many brands of guitars, but some commonly known brands are PRS, Gibson, Dean, Gretsch, Ibanez, Martin, Jackson, Schecter, and Fender."

Profoundly influential is an understatement. They are now ubiquitous, that is they are everywhere. I am listening to some African influenced world music right now and there in the mix is the guitar. World renowned the guitar is used to make various styles of music but always remains recognizable as it's sound and in it's use.

I can remember wanting one from a very young age to my getting one from my Uncle to see if I would learn to play it, then when I proved my interest I was rewarded with my first Acoustic guitar. I began to play in earnest and from my roots in the 60's and forward I wrote songs. Some of them were really poorly constructed songs others went on to impress my Dad, who was hard to impress.

I recall learning Jim Croce's "Working at the Carwash Blues" (a job I had done as a teenager) and my Dad was really impressed. Also a quiet song I played one night at our campsite about a man who lived all alone, in a very small home, surprised him that I wrote it myself. It was pleasant to make an impression on my Dad. One does want to have their parent's approval and he was always skeptical about my approach to the guitar and songwrting.

Today's image is a Picasa 3 collage of guitars. I used Paint.NET's Artistic> Ink Sketch> filter on it and resized, framed it in PhotoPaint. I have guitars on the brain today.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Amanda Marshall - Dark Horse
null

No comments:

Post a Comment