Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Old Wooden Face


Ever meet some one who was wooden faced? My Father n law had Parkinson's and his facial expressions were very frozen by the illness. It was sad to see happen to him.

On a lighter side is today's image. It began as a photograph taken with my Pentax K1000 35mm film camera. I have a couple of exposures of this "sculpture". This close up is so humorous I can't help but smile while looking at it.

I played around with the 300dpi scan of the photograph to add depth and color so that the face would really stand out. I sharpened it a couple of times. Deepened it with PhotoPaint's Tone Curve> darkening it a bit. Applied Harry's Plugin's Artistic> Atmospherizer> to add color and more depth.

The original photographs were taken on a walk in Fowlerville, Michigan, near my Mother's apartment when she lived there. It was being at the right place at the right time. It evidently began it's life as a stump of a tree that had been cut down, it was right on the property line so i could get very close to it. The "sculptor" did a magnificent job of creation. I love the expression and the hat!

If you do a search on images "stump sculpture" you can find many amazing wood sculptures of differing origins. It is an interesting pastime.

I have been thinking about my song on "Reputation" and have a few ideas to flesh out the lyrics but have yet to put anything down on paper and rhyme the ideas. There is the idea that at the day of one's death you have made your reputation, whether good or bad, and at a time of mourning another's death, it is a good time to reflect upon how you are doing thus far with building one.

Serious stuff. Not sure it will make it into the song but this has been what I am considering about how an individual will build a reputation. Some ideas nontheless.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Beth Orton - Stolen Car
null

No comments:

Post a Comment