Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Using Photographs for Inspiration


There are many tools for inspiring thoughts for creative writing, photographs being one of them. Old photos, family photos, scenes, landscapes, brilliant cloud filled blue skies photos, and on.

My wife found a number of older photographs I had taken quite some time ago and I found today's image from among them. As I worked on it for presentation in PhotoPaint and Paint.NET, I looked at it with fresh eyes. And to my delight a poem came to mind.

Autumn Again
© 2009 Kirk Mathew Gatzka

It was autumn again
the leaves had started to fall
there was an empty wire basket
and a pulley for it all.

The rust was sure and fast
the colors ran together
the pulley frozen in the past
the basket runneth over.

Tree bark curls away
it's an Indian summer day
minds reflection mirrors the way
Tree bark curls away

I have a couple of songs about autumn already. It is one of my favorite times of the year. Bringing memories of the end of summer and return to school, old friends and new. The anticipation of a different teacher or teachers and subjects. The walks to school through the rustling leaves and acorns.

I may build on this little poem and make a song out of it, but I may need some more time to reflect on autumn times. It's a beginning.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Kirk Mathew Gatzka - Autumn Day
null

No comments:

Post a Comment