Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Historic Fishtown - Painter Pen and Ink and Watercolor


Traverse City, Michigan area has many local spots that highlight older times. "Historic Fishtown," is one of those places. This photograph was taken by my son Keir M. Gatzka a number of winters ago.

I opened the photograph in Painter, cloned it and selected all, cleared the clone and turned on the tracing paper. I chose the Pens> Ballpoint> pen for drawing the basic outline of this historic building. This took some time because of the detail of the stairway and windows and door.

I then selected a watercolor layer and proceeded to paint with a Dry Bristle brush, doing this with the tracing paper turned off. I painted the building with the clone button selected, though the original photograph had little color in it, it made for a nice texture.

This also took some time as the brush was kept smaller for a slanted board appearance. I saved the large file and opened it in PhotoPaint. Here I added a 20 pixel black border for a frame, and resampled it for the web.

----------------
Now playing: JJ Cale and Eric Clapton - Sporting Life Blues
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kirk, what a lot of work, but well worthwhile. Terry B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Terry! I thoroughly enjoyed working on it! Looking forward to receiving Painter 11 soon! New challenges!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete