Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

12-String Guitars - In Good Company


12-String Guitars are not as scarce as one might think. I was doing some searching on them and found a list of players on Wikipedia, I found I'm in good company of many 12-String players.

Under the listing "Twelve String Guitar" Wikipedia states:

"The twelve-string guitar is an acoustic or electric guitar with 12 strings in 6 courses, which produces a richer, more ringing tone than a standard six-string guitar. Essentially, it is a type of guitar with a natural chorus effect due to the subtle differences in the frequencies produced by each of the two strings on each course."

That is one reason I love mine, the so-called "chorus effect" and the "richer" tones. I have owned both 6-string and 12-string guitars but the 12 is my preference. I have found that trying to play lead guitar with one is more difficult as you have to hold down the note string and octave string together, not to mention any bending of a note one might try.

I used a number of 12-string guitars in the image I posted. First I got a textured "crinkled paper" background from TextureLovers. I opened that file in Painter 8 and selected the Digital Watercolor Splatter brush to add interest to the background. Saving that file I reopened in PhotoPaint and added images of the differing 12-string guitars using the object properties Color Burn and Difference, after I "sketched" them with the Thredgeholder filter.

One of my favorite images I used is the headstock of, what I believe to be, a Guild 12-string. It has a close up of all twelve tuning gears from the back. Very cool little addition to the whole image.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)
null

No comments:

Post a Comment