Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fictional Portraits VI - Is Grunge Still Popular?


"Jeremy" is the title of today's image. Another of my fictional faces from my sketchbook. If I remember correctly I did this sketch a number of years ago in Texas, while visiting my sister.

I used Painter 8 watercolor brushes on this ink ballpoint pen sketch. You will notice the large eyes and the hopeful gaze up, a theme I also used once for a sculpture.

The Sculpture was done using vermiculite and was of two heads both in a prayer-like position - one gazing down the other up. I did that while in college taking business and media. I loved the media and art classes but didn't care for the business side of the equation.

Now I focus on the arts and music. I kept the image simple again. Wanting to show my creative process and my proclivity to do portraits/faces from my imagination.

Digital Art is defined on Wikipedia as:

"Digital art most commonly refers to art created on a computer in digital form.[1] In an expanded sense, "digital art" is a term applied to contemporary art that uses the methods of mass production or digital media.[2] The impact of digital technology has transformed traditional activities such as painting, drawing and sculpture, while new forms, such as net art, digital installation art, and virtual reality, have been recognized artistic practices.[3] More generally the term digital artist is used to describe an artist who makes use of digital technologies in the production of art. Digital artists are artists who make digital art using computer graphics software, digital photography technology and computer assisted painting to create art."

It also discusses digital techniques. Use of scanned in sketchbook images is included as one form of creating digital visual art. I consider myself a digital artist as I use the computer and a number of different computer programs to create.

I have been listening to different kinds of music recently to try to get ideas for new music creation myself. A little bit of Country on the radio, some Blues Rock on the computer. I'd love to get a digital media player, yes that is right I don't have one yet. iPod or otherwise, I need to catch up on the available media players. House repairs have been foremost this year.

I am also wondering how popular the "Grunge" themes still are in design, today. I really enjoy putting grunge themes together for the blog and my Twitter background. There seems to be plenty of grunge fonts available, as you can see in some of my artworks and my banner heading for gatzkART.

I invite your comments: Is "Grunge" design still popular? Do you employ such in your design work? Do you include the use of Vector graphics?

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Bonnie Raitt - It's All Over Now Baby Blue
null

No comments:

Post a Comment