Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Vector and Grunge - Songwriting Tip


When I am songwriting I usually use a simple technique if I want to tell a tale. I use the well known questions: Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How?

Answering these can be a real tool in writing that tune about people in any situation. Funny thing is I usually don't follow which person view I begin with, I switch it up going from I to You, Me and We, Us and Them. Sometimes this can work to your advantage, other times it can cause confusion if not done correctly. That is just an example of answering: Who?

I know that you have probably read about these questions before, but they have been part of my recent work on a song. I have lyrics now about these questions and about trust and who one goes to for help with problems. "I" end up the one being trusted in the lyrics, but I seem not to know "Why". I think the lyrics and singing need some work while recording this I have two versions now.

I took today's image background from the Dr. Web site free textures, If I remember correctly. And incorporated a new distressed font called American Bravado. I have been on too many font sites lately looking for grungy typestyles. I did all the work in PhotoPaint and CorelDRAW using one for the bitmap work and the other to add some vector work to the image.

I have been using the Thredgeholder for the line drawings of the guitars. I used the object properties to add them to the background, both difference with feathering, and multiply for the larger guitar. I had fun creating the musical notes freehand with the CorelDRAW freehand tool, as well as the swirls and flowers. I kept the vectors simple and few.

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Kirk Mathew Gatzka - Circus
null

No comments:

Post a Comment